Friday, February 21, 2014

Roverandom - continuous updates

jeez 3 posts in one day haha
I've been lagging behind on posting some stuff I've been doing for visual development class taught by Dominic Domingo. I was really nervous about taking this class- especially hearing about the workload. But...it's been six weeks and I can only say good things about it. I feel like I learned things that should have been taught the moment I entered Art Center. Story driven design is still something I feel I struggle with because I'm stuck with the reasoning of "because it looks cool and fits the image" in my head. Major lesson of the day: Do your research especially when you're making some kind of cultural reference!!

Down below, I've painted props from Roverandom. From top right to bottom left, Man-in-the-Moon's telescope, Artaxerxe's pen wand, Man-in-the-Moon's dragon warding potion spell bottle, Little Boy Number Two's bedside table, and Man-in-the-moon's phoenix firework rocket. I thought we had to do it in this realistic style but if I were to do it again, I would make it more flat for 2d style animation. Working from grayscale is something new for me--so I'm still trying to figure out how to make the colors a little brighter with more impact--all of these seem to fall under the same value when you squint your eyes.
Also, I have to say, I really enjoy all my classmates. This might seem a bit rude but in all my years at art center, I don't think I've ever come across so many friendly people in the same classroom. I only wish I could have encountered this kind of environment earlier on at school. I spent a long time doubting myself and my abilities-even now. For me, the unintended first step of every project is to freak out and tell myself that I can't do it. It's like easing your way into a jacuzzi haha. I never really thought any of my work was worth glancing at because I cared too much about how much better someone else's execution was. I was too busy building a monster that didn't need to exist in the first place haha. I really appreciate how vocal everyone is and how humble they are about their work. I like that our instructor shows us ways to appreciate something new or hidden in everyone's piece~ it's refreshing and I hope to carry that with me down the road!

I will put up moar props and scans soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment