Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Portraiture midterm




before and after pics of my portrait--will update with a better final picture.
I struggled a lot with this--it was mentally and emotionally taxing -_- I kept on erasing the face because the colors wouldn't be right or the nose was too far to the left or something like that....
I was far too focused on one area and stressed out about it ~I forgot there were other components that needed to be painted. I turned to my friends for their advice which was really useful--and I appreciate it a lot.

the crit was to be mindful of my edges, some of them are too harsh like the line dividing her bangs from her forehead. Light the outer right edge of the hair. Fix the highlight on the left side of her head. Crop wasn't convincing enough, zoom out a little more so that the bunny ears are fully visible and the figure smaller.
I was thinking of painting a couple more flowers. Her shirt really bothers me-- there should be more highlights there and perhaps redoing the shadow on her cheeks, underneath her eyes.

oil isn't my strongest suit but I really tried my best on this--I'm never sure whether the painting's good or bad especially after staring at it for more than 10 hours.


EDIT-- so here' s a better picture of my portrait--;_; i didn't fix anything haha mainly so the model can see it ~ not sure if you'll enjoy my portrayal of you- the idea was to make it look more 'cartoony' than realistic

3 comments:

  1. The underpainting is a bit more relaxed and flowing than the final product. Prol'ly 'cos you were stressed out HAR

    To follow along the idea of not focusing on the miniscule, the portions of the figure seem isolated shadow-wise. The colors are good, and the palette and reflective lighting are the strong suits of the face, though they don't carry into the rest of the body. The hair could cast shadow more on her body to make it seem it is settling on her and is a part of her, rather than placed on top of her. The ears are shaded well, and though the facial anatomy could be tweaked, there's something there. The black shadows make it a bit less lively than it could be, though.

    BLAH BLAHB BLAHLSFSLKFSJLDF lookit me talking like I know something. Your stuff is super-de-duperly strong, but faces and maybe some anatomy could be buffed up a bit. And then you will be unstoppable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, also on her figure, you took what's-his-name Jean Paul (?)'s figure drawing class back at Saturday High, right? Remember balance-counterbalance, and the languidness that animators put into their characters, where there gestures are a lot more fluid. The girl in your portrait is a bit stiff like a rod or a pillar in the portrait. Some flow in her posture to match her hair would have made the composition much more dynamic.

    blah blah blah anyway

    ReplyDelete
  3. And while I'm at it, hi, I hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete